ArchivesSpace Public Interface

Skip to main content

Bucknell University, Bucknell University Stadium Commission Records

 Record Group
Identifier: BU STADIUM
The records of the Bucknell University Stadium Commission are arranged alphabetically by folder title and range from 1922 to 1932. Included in the records are campaign records, correspondence, The Magnet (a publication of the Commission), remittance forms, and reports. The correspondence includes publications created to encourage donations to the fund for the stadium. The campaign records include lists of subscribers, minutes of the local committees and correspondence.

Dates

  • 1922-1932

Creator

Language

Materials are in English.

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research use.

Usage Restrictions

The materials in this collection may be protected under copyright law and may only be used for educational, teaching, and research purposes. If the intended use is beyond these purposes, it is the responsibility of the user to obtain the appropriate permissions by contacting Special Collections/University Archives at the Ellen Clarke Bertrand Library, Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA.

Extent

0.42 Linear Feet ((1) 5 inch document box)

Administrative History

The Bucknell University Stadium Commission was formed in 1923 after the Board of Trustees authorized a campaign to raise $500,000.00 for the building of a stadium on the campus of Bucknell University. John T. Shirley, a matriculate of the Class of 1909, was named commissioner of the campaign and was placed in charge of an Executive Stadium Committee. In addition to Shirley, the Executive Stadium Committee membership included Charles P. Vaughn, Emory W. Hunt, Professor Ephraim E. Heim, Russ H. Kress, the Honorable John W. Davis, Oliver J. Decker, George W. Cockill and Robert W. Thompson. The campaign was organized in locations where large numbers of Bucknellians resided. Centers of campaign activity included Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania, New York, Philadelphia, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. By March 1924, subscriptions totaled $430,087.00 and ground was broken on March 17, 1924. The stadium was completed and dedicated in October of 1924.

Arrangement

Records are arranged alphabetically by folder title and chronologically within the folders.

Separated Materials

Photographs may be housed with the Special Collections/University Archives Photograph Collection.
Title
Bucknell University, Bucknell University Stadium Commission Records
Status
completed
Author
Crystal Matjasic
Date
2015 March
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Bucknell University Special Collections/University Archives Repository

Contact:
028 Bertrand Library
Bucknell University
One Dent Drive
Lewisburg PA 17837 United States US
570-577-3101
570-577-3313 (Fax)