The Bucknell University Athletic Council was established in the mid-1920s as the successor to the Athletic Association of the University. The Council was formed to promote and regulate all of the competitive athletic activities and interests of Bucknell University and to administer all funds pertaining to these activities and interests. The membership of the Council consisted of the President of the University, three faculty members, two undergraduates, and nine members not officially connected with the University. The Athletic Council had jurisdiction over all intercollegiate, interclass, intermural, and interscholastic sports of the University and formulated the rules under which they were conducted. The Athletic Council was abolished in 1952, as a result of the Board of Trustees adoption of a resolution that the athletic program be administered as a department of the University. The Athletic Council was replaced with the Athletic Advisory Committee.