Bucknell University, Office of the Dean of the University Records
Scope and Contents
The records of the Dean of the University are arranged alphabetically by folder title and range from 1917 to 1962. Included in the records are correspondence, reports, and addresses. The reports include those made to the faculty, President of the University, and Board of Trustees. The correspondence includes letters regarding faculty promotion, hiring and leaves of absence, student academic progress and university policies, as well as correspondence relating to the building of Coleman Hall and the F.W. Olin Science Building. Also included in the records is the correspondence and notes from meetings with faculty about academic problems facing Bucknell in the mid-1950s as well a response to concerns about the academic freedom of the faculty.
- Bucknell University. Office of the Dean of the University (Organization)
Materials are in English.
The collection is open for research use.
The materials in this collection may be protected under copyright law and may only be used for educational, teaching, and research purposes. If the intended use is beyond these purposes, it is the responsibility of the user to obtain the appropriate permissions by contacting Special Collections/University Archives at the Ellen Clarke Bertrand Library, Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA.
The Office of the Dean of the University was established in 1897 under Frank Ernest Rockwood, a professor of Latin Language and Literature at Bucknell University. The position was originally known as the Dean of the College and underwent several name changes throughout its existence. The Office of the Dean was responsible for the maintenance of the academic relations with students, faculty, administration and parents. The duties of the Dean included the following:
- To serve as an advisor to the President in all academic matters involving university policy, representing the University in the President’s absence and the planning of faculty meetings
- To exercise general supervision over curricula, courses and instruction
- To be responsible for the staffing of faculty
- To act as a liaison officer between the faculty and administration
- To formulate educational policies
- To make reports to the Board of Trustees concerning the academic progress of the University
- To have conferences with students concerning their academic standing
Office Title Timeline
- 1897-1919 Dean of the College
- 1919-1932 Dean
- 1932-1935 Dean of the College
- 1935-1945 Vice President and Dean of the College
- 1945-1953 Dean of the College
- 1953-1956 Vice President and Dean
- 1956-1962 Dean of the University
- 1897-1917 Frank Ernest Rockwood
- 1918-1923 Llewellyn Phillips
- 1923-1945 Romeyn Henry Rivenburg
- 1945-1956 William Harold Coleman
- 1956-1962 Karl Drew Hartzell
3.75 Linear Feet ((9) 5 inch document boxes)
Records are arranged alphabetically by folder title and chronologically within the folders.
Photographs may be housed with the Special Collections/University Archives Photograph Collection.
- Bucknell University, Office of the Dean of the University Records
- Crystal Matjasic
- 2015 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description