Renamed in 1887, the Bucknell Academy was orignally known as the University Academy. The Bucknell Academy prepared male students for admission to college, teaching or business. Courses of study included the Classical Course, the Latin Scientific Course and the Scientific Course. As with its predecessors, the Bucknell Academy was under the general control of the President of Bucknell University, with the governing resting with that of the Principal of the Academy. By 1917, enrollments had dwindled and the Bucknell Academy closed.